Are you aware of the correlation between COVID- 19 and Asthma? Make yourself as well as those around you aware of this life-threatening disease called Asthma. Let us all take the initiative to spread asthma awareness among society and act as responsible individuals
Are you aware of the correlation between COVID- 19 and Asthma? Make yourself as well as those around you aware of this life-threatening disease called Asthma. Let us all take the initiative to spread asthma awareness among society and act as responsible individuals.
The 5th of May is celebrated as World Asthma Day globally. Asthma is a disease of the respiratory system. Diseases of the respiratory system are not uncommon. The respiratory tract may be primarily involved, or it may be affected secondary to diseases of other systems.
Asthma is a disease of the airways in which there is chronic inflammation and increased responsiveness to a wide variety of stimuli, leading to reversible airway obstruction. Patients generally have paroxysms of cough, wheeze, and dyspnea, interspersed with symptom-free periods.
Causes of Asthma
● Allergic causes:
● Inhaled allergens: pollen, house dust, feathers, animal danders, fungal spores
● Ingested allergens: fish, eggs, milk, nuts, strawberries, yeast, wheat
● Additives in food: monosodium glutamate (Ajinomoto), metabisulphite preservative used in beers, wine, and preserved food
● Occupational: grain-dust,wood-dust
● Environmental: cold air
● Physiochemical agents: gases, fumes, and smoke
● Drugs: aspirin, NSAIDs, beta-blockers
● Infections: respiratory viral infections
● Asthma emotional causes ( Emotional outburst)
The signs and symptoms of Asthma
● Difficulty in breathing
● Wheezing ( more common in children and young adults)
● Shortness of breath during sleep
● Harsh breathing sound with prolonged expiration
● Chest tightness
● Pain in the chest
● Confusion and drowsiness
People with these asthmatics symptoms should immediately consult a doctor and take proper medication and precarious advised by the doctor.
Types of Asthma
● Exercise-induced Asthma- It is triggered by physical exertion or exercise. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing during exertion, wheezing, coughing.
● Occupational Asthma results from a workplace environment like working in asbestos or working in storehouses, hospitals, hairdressers, Painters, Carpenters, and farmers.
● Allergic Asthma- The allergens like pollen or dust aggravate this condition. Allergic rhinitis may also be a causative factor.
COVID-19 and Asthma
COVID-19, the coronavirus disease pandemic, is the deadliest and scariest pandemic that has affected the entire world. COVID-19 is a disease that affects the respiratory system. People affected with COVID-19 show symptoms like breathing, fever, cough, sore throat, reduced oxygen saturation.
People with other systematic diseases are more prone and are at greater risk with COVID-19. One of them is Asthma. Asthma is a COVID-19 positive patient that may worsen the condition. Such patients are at greater risk as compared to those without any predisposing disease factor.
Asthma and COVID Vaccine
The question arises that should asthmatic patients take COVID Vaccine?
Well, the answer is yes!! Scientists have suggested that people with underlying diseases like Asthma can take COVID-19 vaccines. People can get themselves vaccinated, the only condition being that asthmatics patients should not have any allergies to the constituents of the vaccine.
Asthma is a disease of the airways that causes difficulty in breathing due to respiratory obstruction. Please make yourself aware of all the signs and symptoms and their relation with COVID-19. You should also be aware that Asthma patients are also eligible for COVID-19 vaccination.